Friday 10 February 2017

Something nice for your ears:



Last night I went to a concert. Dance, singing, instruments etc, quite a lot of it was not in english (I learnt a new word, yay!) 谢谢 Song and Dance Ensemble, I had the best night (despite the reverb!) There were some phenomenal performers; this drummer treated us all to his music then had the whole crowd following his rhythm and calling back with claps, he kept it going for ages. An operatic singer who's voice almost caused a meltdown with the tech (bloody reverb). Some beautiful dancing (which mfh has already taken on! She's a dancer at heart). The strings, the voices, truly wonderful. The final performer was so good he recognised the reverb at first distortion and spent the next three or four songs adjusting for it on the fly and still powerfully belting it out, beautiful! Highlight of the whole night for me was (accomanied by piano) Greensleves on the duxianqin: this'll sound like waxing poetical but I was truly lost in the sound there. I don't think I can describe it, I've only experienced this a couple of times in my life and I was stone cold sober last night - lost in waves of something I know so well and yet it was like she tapped into what the song could always have been and brought it to life. I don't have words for this, not sure there are words for this - I wasn't me for a minute there, the sound was everything and somehow any 'me' was part of it. It was the whole universe just for a minute or two. I know it probably looks crazy. That sound re-wrote my world, way beyond synesthesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment