Wednesday 5 October 2016

Schadenfreude. A powerful thing when used at the right moment,

Everyone's made up of a scale of psychological mixers, experience and DNA combining to ineffable personality. As a species we have a tendency to put labels on things in order to communicate them (i.e. rock, chartreuse, rain-cycle) naturally one of the first things to be created in this wonderful world are 'Good' and 'Bad'. These labels apply to just about anything. Including and not limited to species, personality traits, rain-cycles. We, as a species, apply them to people all the fucking time. I do it, it's ingrained. And I think it's a fundamental flaw sort of like the word 'literally', we see them upside-down accidentally all the time.

In science and mathematics there are no emotions, because they don't come into play in the real world; they're perceived. 'Bad' and 'Good' don't and can't have a physical presence. What they can do is change perception and therefore influence action.

I consider aspects of my personality to be 'Bad'. I'm a sadist (well, sado-masochist, but lets not get into that here). This does not mean that I have or would ever intentionally hurt someone for my own pleasure (without some kinda kinky shit going on first), but still parts of me beats my sadistic side for being 'Bad'. To the best of my knowledge, most people are pretty good at (often well-practised at) beating themselves up for their own personality traits.

When taken from the perspective of many.. this seems wasteful and inefficient.

Honest moment: My sadism leaks out sometimes, I've found manners of containing and mitigating that. Schadenfreude being a good one. Jada Pinkett Smith, "allow my shadow to play in a safe way.."

No comments:

Post a Comment